How to create a gravel driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THere's a lot of conflicting information on hte web, but how does this sound?

Dig out 10cm deep all round
Put driveway control sheet down
Compact 5cm of scalpings over driveway
Add 5cm of 20mm gravel to top

Are the scalpings necessary as if I leave them out, what's likely to happen? It is after all a gravel driveway so surely nothing much
Is a ground control sheet necessary if I do use scalpings?

Thanks in advance folks

Sponsored Links
A driveway really needs 150mm of well compacted sub base, especially a newly created one. Its not that expensive so why skimp. i would reduce the gravel depth to 35-40mm otherwise you will be swimming through it a bit.

geotextile is definately a good idea if your on clay, otherwise i would say don't bother.

geotextile is definately a good idea if your on clay, otherwise i would say don't bother.
If you want to have the gravel stay reasonably flat with no ruts in it then look at the products such as Agrablock. Toolstation do a cheapo version of it too. it keeps the gravel in place and stops it tracking about too much. Still need to have a good base/membrane as has been said already, unless you want to lose the gravel into the soil and end up digging out weeks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back