How to cut this thick timber?

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by potato80, 7 Dec 2021.

1. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

I have these 24cm x 12cm x 3.2m timber, that I want to cut lengthways via the short edge (as per yellow line in picture)

Problem - a standard circular saw isn't deep enough to cut through, even if I cut both sides.

Does anyone know of a decent jig I could use with a chainsaw? The cut needs to be straight, as I'm turning them into veg boxes.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As somebody in the trade, I can say deeping timber is difficult and there is no cheap solution

a chainsaw jig a sort of possible -there are some examples on youtube however you would be rip cutting which is not the conventional use for a chainsaw as chains are set up for cross cutting

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Really helpful reply, thanks.

This kind of jig?

Attached Files:

5. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

I should add, I'm not looking to cut it both sides, as my chainsaw will reach all the way through with one pass. So I'm not deeping, as such? Rather just wanting to cut straight

Attached Files:

6. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cut from both sides, join the cuts with a hand saw, clean up with a plane (I have done this from time to time).

Or find a joiners shop with a bandsaw or large rip saw who'll do the job for you for a bit of beer money

IMHO chain saw will make a really rough cut with a conventional chain. Not keen on using chain saws for ripping - not really what they are designed for - but you can get ripping chains for some saws (cut faster, safer to use, will cut straighter than a crosscut chain), they are designed for use with chain saw mills like the Eco, Granberg, Sperber and Alaskan, etc. Try F R Jones

Last edited: 7 Dec 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. potato80

potato80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Really helpful thank you

8. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As @JobAndKnock says, go from both sides or perhaps if you have a "nextdoor" forum for your locality ask around if anyone has a bandsaw you could use for beer tokens. Mine would make short work of that. Agree, trying to chain saw is brutal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sponsored Links