How to cut very wide/high aluminium paving trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a pedestal/floating patio, using aluminium edging trim around porcelain pavers, which comes in 2.7m lengths - the type shown here: https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing-finishing/trims/outdoor-edging-trim-20-100

I'll need to cut several of the lengths to fit my dimensions, and as a DIY novice without power tools I'm wondering how to go about it. I'm aware you can use mitre boxes and manual saws/hacksaws for shallower pieces of aluminium, but these pieces are 120mm in height and not sure how deep the leg of the "T" is... I've asked the seller, and they couldn't tell me, except for pointing out they don't offer a cutting service. I've seen some YouTube videos dealing with completely flat edging (advising shallow cuts along the face to allow the piece to be bent until it shears), but the T piece will prevent that from working, I think!

Anyone ever cut anything like this before?

(First post, so go easy!)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The T piece, (as you call it), can simply be cut with a hacksaw up to the back face of the front edge. As it will be out of site the finish is not important. Cut through the front face with a fine=toothed saw and debur/file any rough edges.
If there are any protrubances on the back face, where you cut the T piece, these also will need filing down smooth.

Remember. Measure twice, cut once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back