How to cut worktop boltholes with this jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've acquired this jig and router. I'm only interested in how to cut the recesses under the worktop to insert bolts to join the corners - can they be done with that cross shape on the left?

Also, I think my router is missing a guide bush. It's a Silverline 675059. Can I get a guide bush for this beast?

20210406_184959.jpg
20210406_202735.jpg

Sponsored Links
I believe so. I'm just not sure how it should be used. I guess as long as the recesses are in line and the same depth, it's not rocket science.

The lack of guide bush on the router is a problem though, I think.

It's a half inch router.

Router generally needs a 30mm guide buses and a 1/2in (12.7mm) diameter x 2in (50.8mm) straight, 2-flute TCT cutter to rout the recesses. Suggested power is 1800 watts plus with a 1/2in collet - 1/4in routers struggle with this task as can lower power 1/2in models). BTW your router has no guide bush. Also wrong type of bit.

To use, do the make and female worktop cuts. The mark the three joiner positions on the main worktop on the underside (pencil lines, use a try or combi square, male side of joint first). Transfer the markings to the mating face of the other worktop (I measure from the back edge, but I use a "rod" or straight piece of timber scrap to transfer the markings from the male to the female sides)

Once marked pop the pins in the jig and centre the cut out template on the pencil line. Rout-out, working clockwise, depth set to be slightly greater than the thickness of your "dog bone" joiners. May take 2 or 3 passes at increasing depths depending on the power of the router

See Trend Machinery web site (Knowledge Base) for descriptions and videos

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Does the jig have a makers name, you can get instructions off the net. Basically the pins go against the edges of the work top but you will have to work out your alignment so they coincide for the join. If the router has a name you should also be able to get hold of a guide bush and new cutters.

Plenty of you tube videos on how its done.

The router is 1850W and I have a set of new bits for cutting worktops.

Cutting the bolt recesses looks straightforward enough from what I've seen on YouTube.

The guy I bought this off reckoned I wouldn't need a guide bush, but I think I do!

The worktop has a straight edge, so I don't need to do a mason's mitre/dog leg join.

Does the jig have a makers name, you can get instructions off the net. Basically the pins go against the edges of the work top but you will have to work out your alignment so they coincide for the join. If the router has a name you should also be able to get hold of a guide bush and new cutters.

Plenty of you tube videos on how its done.

Unfortunately no maker's name on the jig, but I think it's easy enough. I'm hoping I can find a suitable guide bush for the router (I do have the model no for) - I did have a look online with no luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back