How to damp proof a stone garden wall from stone house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above.

The stone wall is about 60-70cm tall and about 30-40cm thick. It has rectangular coping on the top like stone paving slabs. It is leaning to our side and individual stones are falling out. Next door's ground level is 20-30cm higher than ours. There is some largish pieces of slate between the wall and house but it doesn't look like it gives full coverage...

In a couple of weeks we have a builder coming to rectify and repoint the wall. In the region where the wall contacts the house we have an existing damp problem internally so I would like to know the 'proper' way to prevent lateral penetrative damp, so I know how to discuss this with the builder.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Last week i took you thro an extended process to investigate some of the issues you raise above, and my last post on thursday 28th august was also quite extensive.

You did not thank me, neither did you acknowledge my last post. You disappeared.

And now you have reappeared with a further post?

Last week i took you thro an extended process to investigate some of the issues you raise above, and my last post on thursday 28th august was also quite extensive.

You did not thank me, neither did you acknowledge my last post. You disappeared.

And now you have reappeared with a further post?

Thanks for the reply Ree.

Apologies - I do appreciate your detailed response to the other post. I fully intend to return to that post when i have fully considered your reply - as I work away from home i do not get much time to examine the problem.

As you know, the house has multiple damp issues and this current post is intentionally separate as I was looking for an answer to the 'how to construct a wall properly' question - i didn't want to confuse any readers with the other issues...

Sponsored Links
Apology accepted, and i apologise for jumping the gun.

However, you are actually causing a little confusion by posting twice on an interrelated issue. I'd suggest keeping the posts all in one place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back