How to deal with a seized screw??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I am boosting the memory of an old Mac computer (at least, that's what I would like to do). The ventilation grating at the bottom of this old iMac (which allows access to the memory slots) is held in place by one tiny screw, which I have been told is a 3mm Phillips. I bought this size of screwdriver, but when I came to turn the screw (to get at the memory modules), it did not turn it or even feel that it was gripping. I was forced, therefore, to use a very small screwdriver for slotted heads, and hope that enough of a grip would be obtained, to turn the head. Well, it is devilish hard work (with thin rubber wrapped round the handle, to save my poor hand), but this tiny screw does turn a little. I marked it on one spot, to be certain of this, and it definitely turns a bit. The trouble is, it is not coming out! Nor is the level of the head rising above the surrounding metal, not by a twitter! This machine was bought new, a long time ago (and has spent most of the years under the bed, until now. However, it has been in a good carton, and has never got dusty), and I have never touched or even looked at the screw before. Has anyone any useful suggestion about how to take the grating off (and be able to fix it back)?

Gracias muchas for any help!
L.L

Sponsored Links
I guess it must have been before they moved over to pentalobe screws.

Are you using a PH00, PH0 or PH1 screwdriver? I can only imagine that your current screwdriver is the wrong size. It's not like the existing screw will have been overtightened.

Something similar to the following might be a worthwhile investment

Can we see a well-focussed picture of the screw head?

Hello! I am boosting the memory of an old Mac computer (at least, that's what I would like to do). The ventilation grating at the bottom of this old iMac (which allows access to the memory slots) is held in place by one tiny screw, which I have been told is a 3mm Phillips. I bought this size of screwdriver, but when I came to turn the screw (to get at the memory modules), it did not turn it or even feel that it was gripping. I was forced, therefore, to use a very small screwdriver for slotted heads, and hope that enough of a grip would be obtained, to turn the head. Well, it is devilish hard work (with thin rubber wrapped round the handle, to save my poor hand), but this tiny screw does turn a little. I marked it on one spot, to be certain of this, and it definitely turns a bit. The trouble is, it is not coming out! Nor is the level of the head rising above the surrounding metal, not by a twitter! This machine was bought new, a long time ago (and has spent most of the years under the bed, until now. However, it has been in a good carton, and has never got dusty), and I have never touched or even looked at the screw before. Has anyone any useful suggestion about how to take the grating off (and be able to fix it back)?

Gracias muchas for any help!
L.L
Who told you it’s Philips? Which model?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, all of you, for the ready comments and intention to be helpful, but the problem is now solved. The bare bones are that I ascertained that the screw really was being turned, by marking it at one point, on the head. The big question was: why was it not coming out? After much struggling, blistered hand, and a lot of frustration, I had an idea. I poked a very fine screwdriver (I have lots of these, opps) into a hole in the end of the grating, and lifted. The grating came away!

What was stopping the screw from rising was that it was held in place, just on the other side of the grating, by a CIRCLIP! It would never have risen, no matter what screwdriver or method I used on the screw! For this (believe it or not) I have Apple to thank, because I have never had any reaason to take the grating off before now. It is just how it came to me, brand new. The memory is now upgraded.

Well, thanks again, folks.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back