How to remove anti tamper screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I've got some security grilles attached to some of my windows. They're attached on the inside with some screws into the masonry. These screws have tamper proof heads - i.e. can be turned on way (to tighten up) but not the other - so I can't undo them. To make it worse they are quite well hidden by some of the metal work of the security grill so I can't get at them with grips or anything.
I need to remove the grilles so need to find a way to remove the screws.
Is there any kind of ant-anti-tamper tool out there designed to remove these kind of screws easily? Or am I going to have to resort to brute force and ignorance and a lot of making good afterwrds?
Any suggestions/pointers gratefully received.
Thanks.
Martino

Sponsored Links
You might have to grind the heads of them and leave them in place.

Cut a slot in the head, with a dremmel fitted with an abrasive disc.

Sponsored Links
If you can't reach them with a grinder and you have an arc welder you can melt the screws and pull the grill off. I know it sounds daft but it does work.

try the JML screw extractor set.. supposed to be for rounded or cammed out screw heads, but should work on these "one way" screws..

I bought a new set of these off eBay for a fiver, also with the intention of extracting some security screws. However, I'm sorry to say they didn't worked for me :(

Although I rotated them slowly and applied as much pressure as I could, they merely began to drill into the screw heads in an anti-clockwise direction and are now lying in a drawer.

they should eventually bite and turn the screw out.. if not then at least they will drill the head off so the OP can get teh grille off.. then he might be able to get a hold of them with a pair of mole grips..

38732.jpg

Toolstation £3.28 for the set

:cool:

Those bits from Toolstation look very different to the JML set which have tips very similar to drill bits.

i used those ones. they took two out, but just ground the heads out of the rest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back