thread tape or something similar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without going into too much boring detail,i have some items attached with self tapping screws that have had to be removed,this has resulted in the screws not tightening up fully,when they were replaced.

The screws are going into plastic and i dont want to change the position,so drilling fresh holes is not an option,i can't get behind the plastic either,or fill in the holes.

would thread tape on the screw help or is there another product i could use?Hope this makes sense!!Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Slightly bigger self tap screw? Need more details of how strong does it have to be etc.

Maybe some plastic repair glue, we fixed a part of a moped casing with the stuff it was solid after, even if it doesn't glue the screw in you could screw in while wet and hope it hardens to the thread.

I will see if i can find a link it came in 2 tubes and you mix it together.

Added
Look at the plastic weld on this link £5.22 it says also fills in gaps so may be could do the trick.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...+plastic+bonding+mix&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=uk

It might help if we knew what type of plastic it is as they come in families and each family of plastics has its' own glue/bonding method. Gl;ue designed for ABS won't work all that well on polyethylene but can be OK on PVC. Is it something like ABS or polyethylene?

Scrit

I have been fitting some numberplate surrounds to my car,if i could get to the holes i could probably fill them but the surrounds are fitted with double sided tape and i dont really want to do it all again.As the number plates already had holes in them, i tried to fit the original screws,as a belt and braces job,also so the number plates would not look out of place with the holes showing. :)

I know this sounds like a minor problem but i have had several other similar situations when removing parts held on by self tappers ,when strength is vital,so i wondered if there was an alternative to thread tape,told you it was a boring story!!perhaps some type of glue/Plastic weld may be the answer.

I sort of get the picture, you want surrounds like a picture frame to hold the plates and not the screws in the number plates?

if you have that much trouble just go for the number plate screws you can get plastic nut and bolts from halfords, motorman any car shop and as long as you can get to the bolt on the inside you will be fine. you could actually try these on the frame before the plate.

Thanks Deluks and oddjob,something else to consider.

Dont have a rivet gun,think i will get one.

Could maybe get behind the plate but would have to remove some interior trim in the boot,will take a look.Got loads of those nuts and bolts too in the garage!!

would it not work to wrap the thread of the screw in pfte plumbers tape?

saintjanet said:
some interior trim in the boot,

It should all come away easy often secured with a plastic button which has expanding wings works similar to a wall plug, or small screws.

:)

THANKS,Thermo and odd job,that plumbers tape could have several uses so i will get some.

Today i screwed the screws in with some masking tape attached and they did screw in,trouble is everytime you then remove them the hole goes ever so slightly larger so I will leave it for the moment and hope the strength in the double sided tape will hold it.On my last car it did and as i was then fitting new plates, i did not want to drill them.I have used really heavy duty tape,not the stuff from poundland!! :LOL:

I think i could remove the boot trim no problem,if necessary.

Thanks for all your help,i have had other ideas based on the info received on this thread and other parts of this forum,which will be of help on other jobs i plan to do.:cool: And like Arnold i'ii be back....

Thermo said:
would it not work to wrap the thread of the screw in pfte plumbers tape?

Make it easier for traffic bobbies when the screenwash is full ;)

Quick pull "looks like this numberplate isn't fixed correctly, my my sir, we are in trouble"
:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back