plasterboard fixings ripping holes....what am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I bought the Fischer Self-Drill Plasterboard Fixings (http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347). First time I used them (coming from a land where everything is plaster/brick) but didn’t think there was much too them. I screwed the fixing part into the plasterboard. No problem. Then I put the screw through the bracket and proceeded to screw the screw in. It couldn’t go more than 5mm in before it was biting hard (35mm screw). Not having used these before, I just thought that was part of it and the screw must need to drive itself in to secure. So I tuned hard. I turned so hard that it caused the fixing to turn and rip a hole through the plasterboard. Confused I tried to drive a screw in one by holding the fixing with pliers. I couldn’t get the screw half way in as hard as I tried (the fixing would rip out the pliers). Surely that can’t be right? I went back to screwfix to ask but, being purely salesmen and not using the tools themselves, couldn’t help me. We did get another brand out and saw if the screw would start any easier by hand tightening (without screwing it in and resulting in any use/wear of the new product). It didn’t go much further without biting. So, I assume I’m doing something wrong. Can anyone let me know what that is?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
They seem to work for this guy. Are your screws too thick? ("Adapted for wood, self-tapping and chipboard screws of 4.0 to 5.0 mm diameter. Pre-drill with a Ø 8 mm drill bit when using gypsum fibreboard and double-planked gypsum plasterboard.")

The screws came with the box so would assume they are the correct ones. Although his go in so easily. There must be something wrong with mine.

Sponsored Links
So I contacted Fischer. They sent over a new box that had been checked by their QA guy. Those work much better. I was impressed with their service. I'll definitely use them again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back