hole in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

hope you can help.
Tried to drill a hole in the plasterboard using a self drill metal fixing for plasterboard.
Unfortunately, I made a large hole,
so I refilled the hole and tried the same again.
When drilling the fixing at the beginning it was fine,
but towards the end the filling crack again and I had a nice big hole (around 4 cm) My question, are you supposed to redrill a hole in the same position after refilling the plasterboard? Does it help if I ise a normal plasterboard filling rather than the self drill fixing?

Looking forward hearing from you

Sponsored Links
they will make a mess of the wall especially if you go at it with the drill!
i always pop a pilot drill through the board first as it makes less mess, around 6mm and then drive in by hand until the metal is flush with the wall
you will feel when the fixing is tight, dont go too far.
My guess is that you will need to move the fixing as it will always try to push the filler out.

do you think i should try a NONE SELF drill plastic fixing?
as i don't wanna move the fixing, otherwise i have to move all other 3 fixings too.

thx

Sponsored Links
you could go for a spring toggle fixing on the one you have made a mess of providing it has something on the back to grip, i dont think the plastic fixings will help much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back