how to determine if a cable powers sockets or lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at putting a double socket in my loft.

It LOOKS as though the cables coming up through the wall into the loft supply the bedroom sockets, but i want to be doubly sure!

Is there a device i can get to measure the current flowing through a cable without having to cut into the cable? The idea is that I flick the upstairs sockets fuse box, see the current drop on the device then know i am ok to cut the cable!

Thanks in advance

C

Sponsored Links
A voltage pen/stick will detect if the cable has a voltage going through it or not but not the current. It's not a thing I would trust my life with though!

Sponsored Links
A voltage pen/stick will detect if the cable has a voltage going through it or not but not the current. It's not a thing I would trust my life with though!
Yes, that's obviously the problem. If such a detector gave a very positive indication of voltage which totally disappeared when the sockets circuit was de-energised (and re-appeared when the circuit was re-energised), that would represent strong circumstantial evidence that it was the right circuit - but, as you say, it would not be 100% guaranteed (not than many things in life are!). I know how I would probably proceed (if there were no other practical alternatives), as probably do you - but, given the theoretical uncertainties, I would not advise anyone else to cut the cable unless they had been able to positively trace and identify it with certainty.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back