How to disconnect 2nd light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In 2 of my bedrooms, I have a normal wall switch to operate light and also a second pull chord switch for some bizarre reason which I do not want.

Do I disconnect the 3 wires and put into individual terminals in a terminal block. or do I put the 2 lives together and the the 3rd black wire into its own??

Sponsored Links
It depends how the two way is wired-pics would help. Also, why bizarre? It is normal to have two way switching in bedrooms with the pull switch over the bed. You switch the light on when you enter the room, and switch it off when you are in bed. It used to be common to have the bedroom light close to the window to prevent shadows on the curtains. Check the Wiki for the two methods of achieving two way switching.

I assume your bed isn't under the pull cord then !

You could just disconnect the string !

It would depend on how the cables are configured, on the ease of disconnection. You may get lucky and it is a simple strapper cable between wall switch and pull cord, where disconnection should not be over complicated, but the set-up may be different and require a little more thought on how you are going to disconnect all live conductors at the pull cord switch and leave what remains safe and compliant to BS7671.

Sponsored Links
haha - just cut the string - I like it - But more than the string, the actual housing thing annoys me as it looks horrible.

Bed is on opposite wall and nowadays we have such things called remote controls for turning the light off in bed ;)

Will have a look at the wiki and if no joy, will post pics.

Will have a look at the wiki and if no joy, will post pics.
I don't think Wiki will cover this.
It all depends on how the circuit is configured, there are few differing ways that allow a two function to operate, so ideally we need to know what you have, do you have access to the area above (hopefully loft space)?

Hi all,

In 2 of my bedrooms, I have a normal wall switch to operate light and also a second pull chord switch for some bizarre reason which I do not want.

Do I disconnect the 3 wires and put into individual terminals in a terminal block. or do I put the 2 lives together and the the 3rd black wire into its own??

Nothing bizarre about it. Absolutely luxury, turning the light on and off from bed. You should consider keeping it.

The easiest way is to terminate the pull CORD cables within a 20 amp junction box.

Turn the power off, and make sure it is off. Make a careful note how the pull cord is wired before you disconnect anything.

You haven't told us the terminal markings at the switch, so I will assume it's something like this;

One terminal on it's own at one end of the switch. Usually COMMON.

Two terminals next to each other at the other end of the switch. For the sake of arguments, lets called them L1 and L2.

There may also be an earth connection.

In the junction box connect the COMMON wire to the L1 wire.

Put the L2 wire in it's own terminal.

Put the earth wire in it's own terminal.

IF THE WALL SWITCH APPEARS TO WORK UPSIDE DOWN,
Connect the COMMON WIRE to the L2 wire
and have the L1 wire on it's own.

If a connection was need in a standard junction box it would need to be left accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing. Or alternatively a maintenance free method used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back