How To Dismantle Kitchen Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a monobloc kitchen mixer tap which has a leak but I'm not sure how to take it apart to fix it.

This is the type of tap:

...and this is where it is leaking from:

There is no cap on top of the handle to get to a screw and I have unsuccessfully tried unscrewing the lower collar but didn't want to use too much force in case it is not meant to unscrew.

There is a screw at the back to remove the neck of the tap but I can't see how that would help.

Does anyone have any advice to get this apart and also what might be the problem once I do. I'm assuming this will be the ceramic cartridge type of tap which I have not had any experience with.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Penny to a pound the lower sleeve unscrews and slides up but it is stuck with limescale. Try soaking in Vinegar (white is best) or a shop bought descaler (like limelight) then grip the sleeve with a pair of marigold gloves to get a better hold and try to unscrew the sleeve.

All else fails use grips with the rubber glove to protect the chrome.

There are strap wrenches for the job if you want to "splash out" on one ;)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...ustable+Wrenches/sd90/Strap+Wrench+Set/p98766

Pour boiling water over sleeve, tap gently with wooden (or rubber) mallet, and then try unscrewing

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your input guys. I did think that the lower part should unscrew and we have had some descaler on it but it still won't budge. I didn't want to force it too much though just in case there was something else that needed to be freed first.

I've got one of those rubber strap wrenches somewhere but I haven't a clue where I put it.

I will wrap a cloth round the collar soaked in white vinegar overnight and then follow Alan's advise and pour boiling water over it while tapping it. I will not be beaten.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back