how to dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need to dryline a bathroom with plasterboard onto brick wall.

Is dot and dab the best method and if so could someone tell me how to do it please.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
buy some plasterboards and some dry wall adhesive or bonding compound (same thing).

mix up the mud stirring the powder into the water.

you will need a buttery slump free mix.

mark on the wall the perimeter of the board.

wet the wall.

apply generous dabs of adhesive to the wall, within the perimeter marks, no less than 4 dabs across 1200mm.

offer the board to the dabs and press into the mud, just enough to grab the board. use a straight edge and a level to upright and range through.

you should be using aquapanel or a similar product at the areas subject to frequent soakings i.e. shower and bath areas.

these can be dabbed too, but will require additional mechanical fixings once the adhesive has gone off.

Put more dabs in between around the edges of the boards for additional support.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your replies. What distance should there be between the board and the wall.

Is it easier to fix with screws and wall plugs?

Thanks

I use a wooden kitchen spoon as a scoop as I find it gives me just the right size gob of adhesive & it’s quick to use. I like to get the boards as close to the wall as possible but the important thing is to leave yourself enough movement on the boards to tap them flat & fair. If the wall your dry lining is already flat & you get the size of the dabs fairly consistent, it will naturally end up pretty flat anyway.

Unless it’s a stud wall, I wouldn’t fix with screws. It’s a lot more work + it will be difficult to get the boards flat as they will follow the contour of the wall behind. It’s actually much easier than it might appear & although I started off with someone helping, I put up full size boards single handed; you just need to work fairly quickly once you put the dabs of adhesive on.

Thanks!

I am going to struggle to get full size boards up to the bathroom. If I use small ones (1200x900) will I get them on ok?

Thanks!

I am going to struggle to get full size boards up to the bathroom. If I use small ones (1200x900) will I get them on ok?

I would go for full size 2400 x 1200 boards if you can as the smaller ones will mean more joins to hide & more risk them being uneven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back