How to drain boiler?

Sponsored Links
Attach a garden hose to the cock. Turn the square shaft anti-clockwise a few turns til the water flows. Put something (tray/towel) under the cock, they often leak when draining.

Open a few bleed valves on some of the rads at highest point of system to break vacuum, and help drain down quicker.

Job done!

Thank you,

i really need to know this info because there is a leackage in the house (upstairs) as its coming down the ceiling floor below.

Do i need to drain each radiator individually?

and also...I tried doing it from the boiler, 1 of the pipes lets LOTS OF WATER OUT at fast pace. So i figured it cant be that.

The other cock let water come out at a slower pace. So i thought it was that. But its stopped draining. But the pressure is still at 1!!! what can this be?? please advice

Sponsored Links
Have you tried this?

Attach a garden hose to the cock. Turn the square shaft anti-clockwise a few turns til the water flows. Put something (tray/towel) under the cock, they often leak when draining.

Open a few bleed valves on some of the rads at highest point of system to break vacuum, and help drain down quicker.

Job done!

yes I have....

I connected the hose to the drain cock near the boiler. it let water out for 8 mins or so. then stopped. i opened some of the valves on some radiaotors upstairs. made no difference. pressure is still 1.

please help!

if water is coming through the ceiling then i would phone a plumber ASAP.
trying to save money by doing it urself fair enough but what damage is the water doing while your on here asking for advise.
cheaper to get a plumber me thinks :rolleyes:

Are the isolation valves where the flow and return pipes go into boiler open - ie. have you closed them at any point and forgotten to re-open?

When the water stopped running out of hose, and you opened a bleed valve on a rad, was there any water and or air under pressure coming out of bleed valve?

Is there still water in your system? It's not beyond the bounds of possibilty that the boiler's guage is faulty.

Sounds like you are not using the correct drain cock. There might be a drain cock on the outside sticking out below floor level? You could, if you are stuck, take off a radiator and drain the system from one of the valves.

Turn your water stop cock of does the water stop? you sure its not cold mains leaking or is teh filling loop connected and continuing to fill the system?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Well I do have a few rads off at the moment due to decoration work going on. The valves are shut at those points. Would it be an idea to empty it from one of those points instead.

if so, where shall i drain it from? the pipe where the thermostat is connected from or the other valves on the other side which we have manually shut off using a spanner. ......(this is ofcourse where a rad is off temporarily due to deocration work in process).

yes thanks for that... i will do that 2nite...

in terms of the drain off point. There were 3 main cocks I saw.

when I connected to 2 of them. it was like opening a tap, you could hear the feel and see the pressure. the 3rd one didnt have much pressure but at the start was like alot of water flushing through... but after 5 odd mins stopped. So thats why i thought that this one was the one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back