How to drain down when pipework is higher than radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a two storey house I just opened the highest bleed valve in the system and let the water drain out.

Now I live in a bungalow where all of the pipework drops down from the loft so all the bleed valves are below the water level.

Boiler is also in the loft and it's a pressurised system.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Once you figure it out, have bleed points fitted to the radiators at the lowest point?

Sponsored Links
I do have drain off lockshields, but I still need to open the system higher up to let air in so the water will drain out.

Anyway, I think I now know the answer. There are a number of airvents in the loft at the highest points of the pipework. If I open those the air can get in and allow the water to escape through out through drain offs.

Just open each radiator's bleed valve in turn, each rad will then drain quite happily. You would only need to open the high bleed point if you wish to drain the pipework/boiler too.

Why are you needing to drain?

I see now I wasn't clear, yes I want to drain the pipework, as I am replacing a couple of rads but also need to rejig some of the pipework.

Two small rooms have been knocked into one but they left both (1970s) rads and ugly pipework. I am replacing with a single modern rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back