How to end a cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a strange question,

I had an electrician in to move some sockets in the kitchen and revove the electrics for an old water heater and storage heater circuit.

These were both on 16amp mcb's, the mcb's were left in the fuse box and the cable was taken out the sockets and walls and coiled up in the loft (I presume left incase we wanted to add and extra circuits it would save us having to refeed cable through)

Currently the mcbs are switched off and a l;able is on them to say they are not in use, the cables themselves howeevr just seem to be taped over, is this a good way to "end" these cables? dosnt seem like it to me and was wondering is someone could suggest a better way for me to end them

hope that makes sense if not please feel free to ask for any more information, thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
hi mate. are you sure they have,nt been disconected from the mcb,s,not just switched off and taped up :)

Not 100% sure, you think they might be disconnected both ends then?
That would probably have made the most sense I suppose, not something I had thought of.

Shouldnt be too hard to test either, will test it tonight and see

I would hope that the spark has also removed the phase from the MCB inside your CU.

Simply taping up the ends is not ideal, but it may be that they have through crimps on the end too and it is this which is taped up. Good for a short term temporary, but not indefinite.

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I would park the labelled unused phase conductors into the spare terminal on the earthing bar, you will need to do this anyway, when reusing the circuit, as the R1+R2 earthing test requires the phase and earth to be linked temporarily at the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back