How to extend a dishwasher water hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought a new dishwasher but the water pipe isn't long enough to connect to the water under the sink, and the installers said they don't carry spare pipes so couldn't install it for me :(.
I went down to my local hardware store and spoke with a plumber and he advised me to buy the following, but I really can't see how it all fits together to entend the pipe. .
Heres what I bought:
4 hose clips
2 outlet hose ends
1 outlet union
1 1.5m hose

So far I have cut 1 end of the hose (based on the recommendation of the plumber in hardware store), and attached the hose end and clip (to the other end). My question is, is this right and what do I do next?.

Heres the pictures...

ALBUM LINK: //www.diynot.com/network/gyro/albums/18656

Big thanks for anyone who can help here

Thanks
Gyro

Sponsored Links
Nooooo!!

That's washing machine drain pipe in pic1, not washing machine feed pipe.

What exactly do you need to do? Extend the water inlet pipe or the water drain pipe?
1st pic is all for draining the washing machine whilst pic 2 and 3 is to fill it.

You cannot use washing machine drain pipe to extend the water inlet pipe, it isn't deigned to take the pressure of mains water.

I need to extend the hose which comes out of the dishwasher to the mains water. I have been told that the waste pipe has already been connected.

also...apologies for where I've said washing machine in my original post. This is very much a dishwasher...ill go back and edit

Sponsored Links
Is no bother gyro, just wanted to make sure what you were trying to do.

OK, I'd go back and get a refund from the guy (B&Q Poss?) that told you to use drain pipe, pic 1 stuff, to extend the cold water inlet pipe Pic2/3. If you asked for advice to extend the inlet pipe to your dishwasher and he supplied you with that stuff, then he's given you the wrong information I'm afraid.

2 ways to get the cold feed to the machine.

1. Move the supply pipe on the mains
2. Get a longer inlet pipe.

How far away is the dishwasher? Easiest way would be to get a 2.5m inlet pipe, you can get a 3.5m pipe too if longer is needed.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-inlet-hose-blue-2-5m-x-bsp/72131

Thanks for your replies. We would need a 2.5m hose to reach mains. Getting a longer pipe was an option but decided not to due to difficulty in getting the dishwasher out of the cubby hole its in.
if i go down the extension route, is it just a different type of hose i need? Or are all the bits wrong?

It's a bit of a fudge to extend the water hose IMO.

All the bits you were given are wrong I'm afraid. They're all for the drain pipe not the fill pipe.

To extend the inlet you would need to get a bit of hose the same type that the current water hose is made of, or standard blue inlet hose with the same ends. Then get the correct union - 3/4" to 3/4" male union, to join them

We would need a 2.5m hose to reach mains.
YOu can get this from Screwfix (click to open link)

The red one is further down the page at £6.99!! I wonder why the £2 price difference?

if i go down the extension route, is it just a different type of hose i need? Or are all the bits wrong?
1. All the bits you bought are wrong
2. As far as I know, you cannot buy extensions for fill hoses, so you will have to buy a 2.5m hose.

Is your machine cold fill only? If so, what is the Y connector (3rd pic) for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back