How to extend radiator pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I want to move the radiator in my kitchen by 300mm across the wall in order to make some space for new base units (I need to install dishwasher in those cabinets).

I don't want to go into the expensive business of getting a professional plumber to break the plaster into the wall and install a new pipework, its just going to be too expensive!

I have searched the DIY stores but all they have are these tail extenders which can only extend as much as 70mm and not more so they are useless.

Is there a way to extend the "return" pipe on the radiator by 300mm? If not, I was thinking about cutting the pipe in the middle, buying a new piece of pipe of 300mm or more in length and connecting the return pipe ends to this new pipe? The only problem with that is I don't have any idea on what connectors would I use because the current return pipe is a soft pvc of 12mm (half inch) dia!

Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
its just going to be too expensive!

That job you describe is so easy for a plumber to do. What is your idea of too expensive? An hours work and a couple of fittings isn't major.
Moving a rad usually involves altering both flow and return pipes.

Thanks. It may well be a simple job, may be two hours at max?

Before I go ringing plumbers, can I just ask if this make sense and it would work? I am just curious. See the attached figure where I planned to install two push fit connectors at each end of the extension.

Sponsored Links
Yes that would work ok. Altering plastic pipe using pushfit connections is quite easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back