Extend a copper pipe with a T closed to the wall. Cutting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After moving some radiators around the house I need now to extend one copper pipe to fit a T and extend from there to a new radiator.

The pipe I want to cut is coming from the kitchen and I cannot no move it from the wall, so I have to work 1.5 cm from the wall, in a very bad place.

Any suggestion how to better cut these pipes, two at the button? I was thinking to buy a cut slicer to do the job but I was wondering if it is better to unsolder the 15-22mm adapter and do it from there?
I am worry to not have enough space to install the T as I cannot move the pipe more than 2cm up/down.

Thank you!

View media item 92356View media item 92358 View media item 92357

Sponsored Links
Spring out a little and use a pipeslice, you may get a slip tee from a local plumber he will certainly stock slip sockets so a normal tee and a bit of tube with a slip socket will do it.

All solder fittings have a ridge inside to set how far the pipe is pushed in, slip fittings do not have this ridge so they can be slid on to the pipe then pulled back when the pipes are alined, therefore it is important to mark the pipe to ensure the fitting sits equally on each pipe before soldering.

An extreme example I came across was where the pipe was pushed so far it closed off the branch :rolleyes:

Mind you unless the pipe is set in concrete each end, I suspect there will be enough play to get a normal tee in when you try it ;)

Spring out as footprints suggest and gently slip something behind the pipe to keep it away from the wall whilst you cut, a small piece of wood or something. If it's difficult to use the pipe slice because it is close to the wall, I find that a pair of pump pliers around the cutter works well.

When the pipes are cut, there will probably be enough movement forwards to fit a compression fitting.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the prompt responses!!

I will both, first try to use the slice cutter. if it does not work, the try the second option.
And if I don´t have enough to play with the pipes, I will try to de-solder the 15-22 reducer.

You can get 22mm 15mm 15mm tees, this may help?

That could help if I am able to remove the current one...as I don´t know if I have enough space to pull from the ends.

I could try that as well.

If I have enough space, maybe this could be the best option... no cutting. :)

Thanks.

Are you sure you will be able to drain the pipes 100%, to desolder? If you start and cannot finish, you will be stuffed. If you cut the pipe, and struggle to empty, you could always resort to compression fittings, which, anyway, will be easier to slip on

Are you sure you will be able to drain the pipes 100%, to desolder? If you start and cannot finish, you will be stuffed. If you cut the pipe, and struggle to empty, you could always resort to compression fittings, which, anyway, will be easier to slip on

Well, I have struggled before with the draining before... but after 3 radiator moved I think I will be able to drain for this cut again. (Last time I had to use my wife hair dryer to blow hot air and drain the pipe hahaha).

I think, unless some else has a better idea, I will try to desolder it.
Still I don´t now if I will be able to pull from one side to remove the reducer....

If as you said I cannot finish desoldering.. I can always cut the pipe, drain, and solder everything again...

It is going to be fun one way or another :)

Edit: I have tried to avoid compression fit all the time so for the last step I would like to continue soldering. This is behind some appliance, so if it star leaking I will not see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back