How to fill a large hole at the bottom of a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all

I have to admit to being a novice when it comes to DIY of any sort so please be gentle with me!
:?

I bought a house a few years ago. About 5 years ago my next door neighbor renovated his house & extended his kitchen. Where he extended his kitchen - the wall backs onto to my garden. This wall has left a large hole at the bottom that was left unfilled/unfinished. I am on good terms with my neighbor and I have to admit to never getting around to asking him to do something about it. My laziness!

My neighbor is now selling and moving sadly and I cannot imagine the eventual buyer will be willing to do anything about it. I have dropped my neighbor a note asking him to pop around to have a look but after 5 years he may not be willing to put it right. So, I may attempt to do it myself. I have attached a picture of the said hole.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Peace all!

Attachments

• 20230901_094512 (00000002).jpg
    20230901_094512 (00000002).jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Mix up some concrete and pop it in, settle the concrete under the wall so there are no voids. Finally, level it off with a float.

I can't workout what is going on there, but it might be worthwhile pointing out that a surveyor might red flag it

Mix up some concrete and pop it in, settle the concrete under the wall so there are no voids. Finally, level it off with a float.

If it is a cavity, won't the concrete just keep pouring away?

Thank you for the replies. As the property is being sold the buyer would use a surveyor so I can imagine a hole as large as this would be a concern.

I will "Google" what a float is. I will investigate the hole further and see just how deep and far it goes.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
A float is also known as a finishing trowel

.....after a week of filling, once the neighbour's cellar is full. (y)

Rather unlikely - the extension builder just appears to have left the OP's side unfinished. There are no obvious cracks in the wall, so it is properly supported, and it seems very unlikely a cellar might have been dug, under an extension don't you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back