How to Fill Holes in Chipboard Flooring around Radiator Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I recently got a Plumber out to sort some issues with the Bathroom Radiator Pipes, including removing an 'S' Bend and moving the Pipes Forward.

20240202_080942.jpg

20240202_080946.jpg

The issue I have now is, how do I fill the Holes in the Chipboard Flooring?

The Flooring is not able to be lifted, I tried, it is a very snug fit.

I have thought about affixing something to the underside of the Flooring to provide a Base then just use Wood Filler but what and how?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Sponsored Links
I'd cut a larger square section out, fit a batten or two under the existing chipboard and then fix a new bit of flooring cut to suit.

Sponsored Links
If you're filling it for draught proofing purposes*, expanding foam (but you'll need to exercise some competence with the gun in sticking the foam to the edges, or stuff the hole with something to rest the foam on)

Otherwise, just lay the final floor covering over it

*if the sub floor void is draughty and cold, consider insulating your heating pipes, otherwise you're just throwing money away

Hello all

Thanks for the Replies, it is appreciated.

The Bathroom is Upstairs so the Void is not that Cold.

I have tried to put something on top of the Hole to cover it, however, the Flooring (Vinyl) will not lay Flat, even with 1.5mm Vacuum Forming Plastic, which is why I am looking for other solutions where I can get the Fill Level with the Flooring.

Thanks

Kevin

Screw a longer piece of plywood or similar to the underside of floor, and fill level with floor glueing/screwing a piece of flooring on top, any gaps can be filled with filler/foam.

Hello

I have ordered some 25mm x 6mm which I am hoping I can slide into the Hole and fix it to the underside, either with Screws or Contact Adhesive. then Fill on top.

Unfortunately, as mentioned in my Original Post, I am not able to lift the Section of Chipboard as it is a very Snug Fit and I do not have the Tools or ability to do it myself.

Thanks

Kevin

Invest in an oscillating multi tool (very useful sawing device, should be able to get one for about 30 quid), cut the hole sides at a 45 degree angle, cut another piece of wood to fit the hole also with sides at a 45 degree angle and drop it in, like a sink plug fits a plug hole

Small hole will not affect vinyl floor , it won’t lie flat needs glueing down .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back