How to Fill Small Hole Between New Back Door and Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new back door fitted, I am pleased with the work, but there is a small hole between it and the wall/skirting board. I can feel quite a strong blast of cold air coming through, so it would be great to get that sealed. What kind of material would be best to fill it with? It is quite a deep hole. I think the fitter attempted to fill it, but the material he used collapsed inside the hole. Considering asking the fitter to come back and do it, but not sure if that would be fair.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/166Lj4wFmt8MDMegtaC40xBJkfqfdtV2_/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The correct solution would be to replace the torus skirting return with a piece that butts against the new door frame.

not easy if you cant get the exact skirting.

Failing that fill the hole with silicone and cover with a small block of wood or a plastic trim.

If the skirting is staying as is, then it would be best if it was cut back in line with the trim, then a piece of wood put in up to hinge.

its a bit of a bodge as it is

It's not the fitters fault that your skirting is short however the sealing is poor, part of being a good fitter is getting around little issues like this, even a squirt of expanding foam in there to stop the draught from the cavity and then make good with caulk and shape it with a scraper to form the same moulding as the skirting. Not even sealed under and behind the hinge tut tut!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, I think the best idea is to ask him to come back and do that quick fix. Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I also noticed there is a small amount of friction at the bottom of the door when I start to open it, i.e something on the bottom of the door seems to be rubbing on the floor. It's not easy to describe exactly, but does that also sound like something that should be fixed/resolved by the fitter?

Yes, door should be fitted so it doesn't rub on anything.

Yes, door should be fitted so it doesn't rub on anything.

Not quite so, it looks like the door has a low aluminium threshold so with that there will probably be a combination of flipper gaskets on the threshold and under the door, they have to rub against each other to form a seal, some people toe and heel the door so high that it doesn't rub or seal at the bottom which is wrong, you will also see it running up hill if you stand back from outside, it sounds as though the door has been fitted (toe and heeled) proper

Not quite so, it looks like the door has a low aluminium threshold so with that there will probably be a combination of flipper gaskets on the threshold and under the door, they have to rub against each other to form a seal, some people toe and heel the door so high that it doesn't rub or seal at the bottom which is wrong, you will also see it running up hill if you stand back from outside, it sounds as though the door has been fitted (toe and heeled) proper

I phoned the company that fitted the door and they said pretty much the same thing and that over time, this rubbing would reduce, so I think I am happy with this answer. They said they would send someone round today to fix the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back