How to find a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we recently had a large extension built c/w a 2loop underfloor system, all new rads in the central heating and a new external combi boiler.
To cut a long story short, we ended up sacking the first plumber who installed the rads, boiler and u/f system.
We had the boiler commissioned by a Worcester/bosche service guy and the u/f commissioned by a reputable local plumber.

However , we are now finding that we are having to bleed the system every 5 days or so, and it's taking approx 20 seconds of full bore water from the filling loop to get back up to pressure.

I fear we have a leak, but there is nothing visible at all.
How do I check where the leak may be? I can operate the u/f separate from the c/h? I guess that would tell me which half of the house is the problem....I do suspect its in the older, c/h side though, and half he pipes are buried under the old floor.

Any help would be appreciated, I work away and my wife is ready to string me up by the time I come home due to all the clattering, banging and bubbling from the rads when they come on in a morning!!!

Sponsored Links
One trick would be to put some aftershave or perfume in the system and wait for the smell to locate

Some engineers ( like Dan) have thermal imaging cameras which might help. He would know more as I havnt used them.

I can't afford one :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back