how to fit a concrete lintel ( single skin )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a concrete lintel above an existing bathroom window. How do I do it?

The window was put in ( badly ) by builders a few years ago. They cut the window opening ( about a foot wide ) then inserted the window. There is now a crack developing in the blockwork above the window.

Not good as I'm in the process of tiling the bathroom! and I don't want the tiles to crack.

Its a first floor window, and there is only about 1.5 courses of blockwork before the wall plate above ( is that the correct term?- the wood running along the top of the wall that the roof trusses rest on ).

It has been sugested that I get a concrete lintel fitted on the inner skin of the wall. How do I do this? - My local builders aren't interested in a 'small job'!

Sponsored Links
Hazelb said:
I need to fit a concrete lintel above an existing bathroom window. How do I do it?
In principle you just remove brickwork in the shape of the lintel, insert it, and plaster over it. However, before you go ahead and do this you need to determine what movement has occurred and whether or not you need to jack up the wall plate first.

There is now a crack developing in the blockwork above the window.
Please post a photo of the crack and the area around it.

My local builders aren't interested in a 'small job'!
I'm sure you could find someone capable and willing, but you could probably do it yourself (with the right amount of forethought and preparation).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back