How to fit a matwell next to door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’m fitting 14mm engineered click flooring, floating on 3mm underlay. i want to put a matwell by the front door. Looking out toward the front door there is a bathroom door on the left , hinge side nearest the front door (the door is off in this pic) . I was looking at 40mm wide oak L sections to fit around the matwell, but I’m not sure how to fit it . Does the L section go next to the skirting (18mm) or underneath it? There will be some kind of threshold strip to the bathroom, do i but the L section up against that? Do i need to cut the board so it has a thin bit on the left going all the way up to the front door? Otherwise there will be nothing under the overhang of the L section. And then I’m a bit concerned the door won’t have enough clearance over the matwell without cutting alot of the bottom, I think the L section adds 5-6mm height
IMG_6748.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why would you use an L section for the surround? Surely just a rectangle would do?

inset-coir-doormat-best-maintenance-product-for-wooden-floors.jpg
I mean that looks great (although the skirting will cover up alot of it?) , but I’m laying a floating engineered floor on underlay, so doesn’t it have to sit under the lip of an L section?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back