How to fit a pick axe head (newbie question!)

Sponsored Links
Slide the head down the shaft (ooer), then drop the end of the shaft on the floor a few times - the head should be firmly wedged on now.

This is not a leg pull?

The head end is bigger than the hand end. You slide the handle through the hole in the head. As it approaches the wide end it will grip firmly. You then tap the head-end of the shaft on the ground a few times, the momentum of the head will force it tightly onto the end of the handle.

As you slide it on, observe the shape and orientation of the handle (it will be approx oval) so that it fits well.

It is often possible to remove (or loosen) the head by holding the pick head-upwards and tapping the hand end of the shaft on the ground. Hold it by the head or the head may fall down and break your foot.

Tomorrow I will explain how to put on a horse's collar. Easy when you know how.

edited:
Curses, too slow.

I must not try so hard
I must not try so hard
i must not try so hard

Sponsored Links
Cheers all! No - it wasn't a leg-pull...I was a bit concerned that the head might come hurtling down the handle mid-swing!

Ta !

till it works loose and slides down the handle! :LOL:

whitehart said:
Cheers all! No - it wasn't a leg-pull...I was a bit concerned that the head might come hurtling down the handle mid-swing!

If it does that, it is your own fault for not working fast enough :p

Now that you've bought one, it will last a lifetime. Just fit a new shaft when the old one gets damaged, and replace the head when it's worn.

JohnD said:
Tomorrow I will explain how to put on a horse's collar. Easy when you know how.
You know it won't suit you John. ;)

JohnD said:
Now that you've bought one, it will last a lifetime. Just fit a new shaft when the old one gets damaged, and replace the head when it's worn.
Since it seems nobody else is going to, I'll oblige:

:)

JohnD said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ...Only fools and horses..... ;)

when shaft gets worn leave the pick insitu on shaft an leave in water , wood will expand ...;)

well only buying bloke work tools .......

a wooden one does expand ..
fiberglass ones ..Pfffft ..lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back