How to fit and buy lights like this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
x7b87E

I want to fit floating lights like this for a bathroom where can i buy these?

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
1 or 1.5 mm Twin & Earth to the transformer(s) via a standard pull cord switch or similar. Depends what's Existing.

Sponsored Links
LED strips like that are typically 12V constant voltage (there are some 24V, but they seem to be few and far between these days). Basically you pick your required light output - there are strips with different numbers of LEDs/m - and come up with a total power required. You then pick a supply with the required power rating and connect it's DC output to the strip. The input to the supply is just 240V AC and you switch it as you'd switch any other light.
Installation wise, the strip comes coiled up on a reel. Clean the surface carefully, peel the backing off the strip, and press it into place. Wire it up, job done.
Personally I find it cane be hit and miss whether it sticks properly. I've has some where it's stayed put well over years, others where it's been peeling off by the end of the day :eek: You'll see on the page linked to above, you can get channeling to put it into making it into more of a contained light fitting - which also means the strip can't fall any further than resting on the diffuser.

LED strips like that are typically 12V constant voltage (there are some 24V, but they seem to be few and far between these days). Basically you pick your required light output - there are strips with different numbers of LEDs/m - and come up with a total power required. You then pick a supply with the required power rating and connect it's DC output to the strip. The input to the supply is just 240V AC and you switch it as you'd switch any other light.
Installation wise, the strip comes coiled up on a reel. Clean the surface carefully, peel the backing off the strip, and press it into place. Wire it up, job done.
Personally I find it cane be hit and miss whether it sticks properly. I've has some where it's stayed put well over years, others where it's been peeling off by the end of the day :eek: You'll see on the page linked to above, you can get channeling to put it into making it into more of a contained light fitting - which also means the strip can't fall any further than resting on the diffuser.

Thanks for that really useful. As its going in a bathroom I need to make sure its suitable waterproof and not going to fall off.

Can’t see anything linked?

If you place the transformer remote from the lights, i would say that as it's a low voltage setup, you don't need to worry about the bathroom zones regulations.

The link is in post #2
https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights.html

If you place the transformer remote from the lights, i would say that as it's a low voltage setup, you don't need to worry about the bathroom zones regulations.
Are there any requirements regarding the power supply ? I would have assumed that it would have to be SELV, or ELV to some specific standard. Just being 12V wouldn't be sufficient on it's own ?

Clean the surface carefully, peel the backing off the strip, and press it into place. Wire it up, job done.
Personally I find it cane be hit and miss whether it sticks properly. I've has some where it's stayed put well over years, others where it's been peeling off by the end of the day
I think that in a bathroom you'd have to be optimistic to the point of delusional to rely on it staying stuck.

You might be surprised. I've seen this stuff leave the double sided tape behind rather than peel off. It seems to have a mind of it's own - it either sticks like s**t forever, or it falls off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back