how to fit bathroom mortice latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

How is a bathroom mortice latch best fitted? With the standard tubular ones I simply drill one hole using a flat wood bit but obviously the bathroom latches are much deeper as they have the two spindles in one.

Is it a case of drilling several holes to the required depth then using a chisel to make the sides flat as possible?

The other option would be to simply buy a separate tubular lock I suppose and then use a second keep on the frame. Would this be easier overall?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The lock will probably come with a template for you to use. If not, yes - it's a matter of drilling a number of vertical holes to create the mortice, then finishing with a sharp chisel. Recess the faceplate and job done. The templates are rarely wrong - if anyone bothers using them ;)

i guess you are talking about a mortise privacy thumb-turn?

lots of holes in-line as stated.

just remember that being an internal door there will be very little material remaining so use a sharp chisel and drill bit, and don't be too overzealous when removing the surplus. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back