Problems with new door knobs and tubular latches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time on a DIY forum...so here goes.

I am currently in the process of replacing the door knobs throughout my home.

I ordered Era Passage lock sets in satin chrome and expected it would be as simple as removing the old knobs and screwing in the new ones. Alas no!

The original tubular latches have a smaller spindle diameter than the era door knobs (8mm). The tubular latches that came with the door knobs have a backset of 50 0r 60mm unfortunately the doors are already drilled for a backset of 95mm!

I have scoured the internet for hours looking for a tubular latch were the backset is 95mm - unfortunately to no avail. I have found a Gainsbourough set that fits the description but i have read that there spindles are not a standard size. Can anyone point me in the right direction. The spindles are attached to the new knobs so can't be replaced.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could you get away with 91mm as Union do a tubular one with that backset. 100mm is another option on a 125mm latch.

Jason

Thanks Jason

I might just manage a 91mm at a squeeze - where have you seen these?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Alas the 100mm just won't fit - and all 5 companies I emailed said that a 95mm backset is not common at all in the UK though I might find some in the US (that's a long way to go for a bit of DIY!)

I have eventually bodged it by fitting the handles without the tubular latch and using some roller catches from Screwfix.

Not as elegant but seem to be doing the Job!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/35788...justable-Roller-Catch-Nickel-Plated-Pack-of-5

Thanks again for your help Jason - it was much appreciated!

Hello
I saw your post dated 2010 about someone asking how to find doorknobs with latches that fit 100mm backset...
We are renovating an appartment from the 60's, and we can't find any door knobs with such latches ...
Do you have any idea where we can find this?
Thanks in advance
wenwen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back