How to fit blinds in new build house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new-build. The builders have put strips of wood behind the plaster, above all of the window frames for curtain poles... But I tried fitting a roller blind yesterday (inside the recess) and made an absolute mess of it!

There's a bit of plasterboard about 10mm thick, and then a gap about another 10mm and then probably bricks because I couldn't drill through it.

I tried fitting plaster plugs - but they're all too long! They hit the brick so I can't insert them fully (but of course they jammed in, and I ripped out chunks of plaster when removing them :oops:).

Then I made new holes and used regular wall plugs (not specific for plaster). They fit, but they're already wearing away at the plaster and the whole thing feels loose.

So what's the answer? Do I need to use a masonry bit to drill into the brick? The holes in the blind brackets are pretty small so I can't fit any big screws through them.

Sponsored Links
If you're in the window recess then odds are the plasterboard has been dabbed onto the lintel which might be concrete or might be steel and it isn't a good idea to drill into it.

What you need is some proper fixings- either the butterfly sprung ones (pricey but easy to use) or the ones that crush behind the board (cheap but you need the special tool to fix them). If you've only got 10mm between the plasterboard and solid then you may struggle with the butterfly sprung ones......

And then you need a length of 3 x 1 timber cut to the width of your window.
Drill a couple of 4mm holes in the timber away from where the roller blind clips are going to go (or more than 2, evenly spaced, if the window is wider than about 400mm)
Paint it (undercoat and gloss), let it dry
Offer the wood up to the plasterboard, drill through the holes into the plasterboard.
Make the plasterboard holes big enough to take your chosen fittings
If using the sprung ones, put the bolts through the timber, put the toggles on the end, offer the wood up, poke the fixings through the plasterboard holes, tighten.
If using the crush ones, put the inserts in the plasterboard holes, crush them, take the bolts out, put bolts through wood, offer up, secure

Then fix the tiny wee clips from your roller blind to the bit of 3 x 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if you can now, as you say you've broken the plaster board, but in this situation (as the gap is only 10mm between plasterboard and brick) I normally drill through the plasterboard and into the brick with a masonary bit. The insert the rawlplug, which will then be held by the plasterboard and brick.

You need to use certain type of plug though that has a rim on it to stop it going through the plasterboard hole.

No.6 screw should do it, that's what I used on my blinds.

This rawlplug maybe: http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/nails-sc...g-68520-Red-6mm-Pack-96-9281462?skuId=9291162

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back