How to fit gate and side fence panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just torn down the ivy that was barely holding our old gate and trellis together and we're looking to get a taller gate instead so it's not easily breached.

Went to B and Q and the standard arch gate is the same width (0.9m) but my question is, what do I use to bridge the gap between the gate and the adjacent fence next door?

At the moment there's a shonky old post, but (and sorry if this is a stupid question) can I get a custom made fence panel to go in between (0.6m wide) or is there another panel I need to look for instead? Not sure what I'm looking for really but want it to be as secure as possible. All the DIY websites show much wider fence panels out of the box so I'm not sure where to start?

Also, how would I attach said panel - I don't want to touch the neighbour's fence if possible so would it better to get a post instead and mount it in the ground? And is concrete better than wood? Hopefully the pix help to explain what I mean!

Thanks in advance.

Other side of the gate showing neighbour's fence.

Sponsored Links
To make a panel to fit you just cut down a standard size one, prize off the edging from the off cut and attach to the piece you've cut. You can do it with a hand saw if you don't have a circular saw. To fit, use posts - timber or concrete - your choice but you may need a hand with concrete ones due to the weight.

Even cheaper than that, once you have your posts in, and put two in so you aren't touching your neighbours fence, crate a feather edge fence as per your neighbours,

nail some rails to the face of the posts and put in the vertical slats, that way, you can buy what you need and not buy a whole pannel and waste most of it, this will be strong and if done correctly last a long time.

You can get posts that are concrete or wood, looking at your pictures the gate is latched this side, so all you need to do is attach the locking mechanism, this may be harder on a concrete post...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back