how to fit kitchen sink unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CC7A9A96-F7C9-4BE1-A5A6-82F5B4A98EFD.jpeg
I have removed the old cupboard that the water mains tap through the base of, I now need to replace it.

The only way I can see to do that is cut a slot in the new base to accommodate the mains.

I also think I may have to leave the back off the cupboard ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
With sink base units it is almost always necessary to go in for a bit of butchery to get the unit to fit in around the pipework. This may well involve removing part or all of the shelf (they invariably foul on the sink S-trap) as well as or notching out the sides, etc. On occasions the back requires so much to be cut away that it is best left off, although in that case I tend to add 3 or 4in wide upstands (white MFC or Contiplas) to the backs of the base shelf and (if present) the mid shelf. Whilst it looks neater, I prefer not to box in under sink plumbing on the grounds that you will probably need access to it sooner or later, especially if your stopcock is there. Whatever you decide, always take the time to seal any cut edge (including factory edges which aren't edge banded) with a waterproofing material such as silicone, lacquer, gloss paint, D4 PVA glue (which is NOT polyurethane glue, BTW), etc in order that when leaks or spills occur they don't get into the chipboard and cause to blow (swell)

As an aside I'd also recommend that you install isolators on the tap feeds, etc if you don't already have them, before installing the cabinet. Can make working on taps, etc in the future a lot easier, and at under £3 a pop for basic 15mm ones it's really a no brainer IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If it was me, I'd turn off the water and re-do the pipework after the meter first - it's a dogs dinner - then what jobandknock suggests. BTW I suspect you do already know you have a leak on the uppermost "T"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back