How to fit pre fabricated sky light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3x5 ext being built which is nearing completion. So far it has gone to plan without any issues whatsoever. I have two skylights being put in and they look brilliant. Yesterday one was "sealed". Today the second was fitted and sealed. The skylights are pre-fabricated motorised ones.

I noticed my builder didnt use any of the black silicone sealant (i think it's Caulker?) to join the glass to the skylight frame. He used only a tape sealant instead - expanding foam tape.

Basically, what I want to know is, how the frame should be bonded to the roof. Is the pre-fab frame supposed to be siliconed to the timber supports beneath it or is it supposed to be siliconed to the felt itself?

Which leads naturally to my second question of bonding the glass to the frame - is self expanding tape itself sufficient enough to bond the glass to the frame of the skylight or should a proper sealant be used.

Please advise as I am genuinely concerned.

Sponsored Links
The seal is normally provided by external beads or covers, not any bonding to the frame.

As woody says the profiled seals and flashings provide the waterproofing.

The adhesive tape is a good way to fix glazing units as it is more burglar resistant than just silicone.

Sponsored Links
What about fixing the actual skylight frame to the roof itself though? My main concern is burglar(s) could lift the whole thing open.

If it wasn't clear. What my builder has done is - sealed the skylight frame to the pearl deck as opposed to building up the timber subframe to roof level. And then mounting the skylight to the timber. Is this not necessary? Will it be ok / strong enough to resist being pulled upwards with three layers of torch felt on top? Should I get BR to inspect it?

WTF? You seriously think a burglar will feck around trying to lift a whole rooflight out of a flat roof rather than the several other far easier means of entry available to him?

WTF? You seriously think a burglar will feck around trying to lift a whole rooflight out of a flat roof rather than the several other far easier means of entry available to him?
My sister's house got robbed and she had an (I think) 16 point multi locking door. These guys dressed as work men, she was on holiday and they literally took the whole frame out over the space of week.

Idk why you are posting irrelevantly though. That is my main concern above others that I may have. However the main issue being it is not secure and is just sitting on the roof with a layer of silicone between it and the first layer of felt. I'm no builder but that doesn't really sit right with me.

And in your dimension what's to stop burglars in hard hats climbing on the roof and cutting a hole in the roof somewhere else? Or maybe removing a section of wall or turning up in a fake window fitters van and removing a window? Or how about digging a tunnel and burrowing into your house that way? Muppet!

literally took the whole frame out over the space of week.

Did those pesky pensioners pull this off before the Hatton Garden heist?

A week to burgle a place? Seriously. What was wrong with the kitchen window?

Did those pesky pensioners pull this off before the Hatton Garden heist?

A week to burgle a place? Seriously. What was wrong with the kitchen window?
Kitchen window was on the first floor. The door was on floor level. But yes, that is just how pesky the burglars round here are.

And in your dimension what's to stop burglars in hard hats climbing on the roof and cutting a hole in the roof somewhere else? Or maybe removing a section of wall or turning up in a fake window fitters van and removing a window? Or how about digging a tunnel and burrowing into your house that way? Muppet!
Not sure why you're so so fixated on the one issue I brought up mate. Apart from being able to lift it or even, blowing away. There's nothing fixing or holding it down. And for your useless information - the BCO inspected it and agreed with me - that the frame should be mounted or screwed onto something. So next time, please keep it relevant rather than attacking me or making out my post was stupid. Knobhead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back