Sealing and glazing sky light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all - if this is in the wrong section I apologise.

I have a 3x5 ext being built which is nearing completion. So far it has gone to plan without any issues whatsoever. I have two skylights being put in and they look brilliant. Yesterday one was "sealed". Today the second was fitted and sealed.

I noticed my builder didnt use any of the black sealant to join the glass to the skylight frame. He used only a tape sealant instead.

My question being - is the tape sealant any good, is it secure? I gave it a tug today and it sort of came off....Does it need more time to settle?

Please advise as I am genuinely concerned.

Sponsored Links
Anyone any ideas?

I'd also like to know how a motorised skylight, should be bonded to the roof. Is it meant to be bonded to the timber joists / noggins or is it meant to be bonded to the felt.

Your sealant question is a bit too vague to be useful- depends whether the black stuff of which you speak is a primary means of keeping water out or just a thermal expansion/contraction type of keeper for the glass.

As for 'bonded', what do you mean? All the roof elements should be arranged so that as water runs down the roof (gravity being our friend most of the time) it can't go under anything. If you mean the housing then it should be fixed to something solid, the weathering arrangements might well not be fixed (lead or probably lead substitute flashings will be attached to the skylight and just laid to the slates/tiles/whatever), the arrangements with felt are tricky to describe but think gravity

Sponsored Links
Yes it IS in the wrong section - if you have building queries you ought to try the building section. Cheers.

Back