How to fit room thermostat to valiant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i'm new here and was hoping i could get a bit of help.

Last year my elderly parents had a valiant eco tech plus boiler installed, and the engineers installed a wireless programmable thermostate, which for my elderly parents was very confusing and difficult to use. So they pulled out the batteries to keep the heating on.

Now i want to connect a standard room thermostat, the one with a dial. I can do basic electrics and plumbing work, like re-wire sockets, install lighting and change taps etc so i want to try and change/add the thermostate for them myself. I got a couple of quotes and they were in the region of £150-200 so would rather do it myself.

There valiant wireless box is still connectred to the boiler, but as i've never fit anything like this, could someone please advise on how to do this?

what wouyld be the best type of thermnostat to buy, a 2 wire or 3 wire?

thank you in advance

Phil

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the RF stat from the boiler,connect a honeywell room stat or simular.2 wires to 3+4 on the PCB,if you have a 3 wire connect the extra neutral wire, to 5 on the on the PCB :)

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the RF stat from the boiler,connect a honeywell room stat or simular.2 wires to 3+4 on the PCB,if you have a 3 wire connect the extra neutral wire, to 5 on the on the PCB :)

thank you. Would i connect the wires into the same place the RF stats wires were connected?

If you remove the PCB cover,you will see L.N.E connected to #s 1.2.3 connect your roomstat to 3+4 for 2 wires 3.4+5 for three wires. Bobs your uncle :LOL:

hi, i've fit the drayton thermostat as per instructions, turned on the boiler, the central heating has fired up but how can i tell if the thermostat is working? I've wacked it onto full (30 on dial).

I thought i'd use a hair dryer to blow warm air onto the thermostat and after bout 30 seconds the boiler went off as in heating was not fired up. Does this indicate the thermostat is working?

Yes but just turning the knob all the way to the left would have been a lot easier!

Yes but just turning the knob all the way to the left would have been a lot easier!

lol i did try this but the boiler was still fired up.

So tried the hair dryer instead and the boiler shut down after 30 seconds. :D

Hi all

got problem with thermostate i fit the other day.

It does not appear to be controlling the heating properly.

If i set the dial to 21 or over on the thermostat, the heating works fine. However if the room/house gets hot and i want the heating lower, i turn the dial down and the heating goes off/boiler shuts off. Now on the boiler, if i turn the temp down, the heating comes back on.

So i appear to be able to control the heating from the boiler, but not from the room thermostat, even though i have wired it exactly as i was told on here and following the manual instructions.

However one thing i did not do was i did not disconnect the RF Valiant wireless thermostat as that was connected to ports 7 and 8 on the electronics control board. The actual programmer to set the temps etc has had the batteries taken out so it does not control the boiler. But is the fact i have not disconnected the RF from the boiler what is causing the room thermostat to function incorectly?

was it a two or three wire connection you used on the thermostat? If two wires, it may be a the wires simply need swapping. Yes also disconnect the old wireless.

guys i've done as you have said, removed the wireless thermostat that was connected into terminals "- and +". Tried the wired thermostat thats connected into terminals 4 and 5 using a two wired connection but it still doesnt appear to be working.

If i turn the central heating control on the boiler to say about 50c, and turn the room thermostat to about 30c, it does not fire up the boiler. However if i turn the boiler up to 70c, the boiler fires up. I seem to be able to control it from the boiler but not from the room thermostat. Can someone please advise what i might be doing wrong?

do i need to bridge terminals - and + on the boiler after removing the wireless thermostat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back