How to fit wall mounted shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've seen a couple of threads on the subject of fitting a wall mounted shower head but most of them tend to focus on the wall plate fitting and be done with it at that point. I have taken delivery of a wall mounted shower arm and have no idea what to do with the plethora of components it comes with. Can anyone explain please how they are all supposed to go together? My install is stud wall with aqua-panel and tiles and I already have a wall plate fitting attached to a noggin in the stud wall, pretty much to where the photos in this thread got to:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1751377#1751377

A photo of my shower arm should be below, including (from left to right) - threaded chrome cover, thick steel washer, brass lock ring and stippled rubber washer.
I guess the chrome cover goes on the outside and the lock ring goes on the inside, but what I'd be grateful to know is:

1) where do the steel washer and rubber washer go, inside the wall or outside?
2) what is the sequence for fitting it all together? I guess it can't go together before tiling because it won't be possible to get the tiles behind the chrome cover. But if it goes in once the tiling is done I can't see how it is possible to get a wrench on the internal lock nut to tighten it all up.

Any help solving this catch-22 would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rob. So basically, it seems if I fit one of these arms into a wallplate elbow that is FIRMLY fixed to a noggin etc, then I don't need to worry about the other washers and lock-nut (only the threaded chrome face plate)? I guess these would only be used if all the strength had to be achieved by bolting the arm to a partition after tiling etc, assuming full access was available to the back of the arm to then attach the flow pipe afterwards.

I didn't get mine off the internet but it seems there are a lot of them available out there, and none of them have PDFs or similar so my guess is instructions are thin on the ground!

Sponsored Links
Indeed cisco, as long as it's nice and secure then you should be ok. The back nut and washer are if you can access from the rear and fix it against the wall then a normal 3/4 bsp tap fitting is used, not a wall plate elbow. The wall plate elbows are the other way to get a firm fix and should be sufficient as long as there are no shower gymnastics planned :p
Yeah, instructions for these are thin on the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back