How to fix? badly spalled brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had my garage cleared a few days ago, when it was moved i went in intending to give it a good clean and discovered a badly damaged brick at the bottom of a square of brickwork in the garage. It had been covered by boxes so i only saw it when garage was cleared

I can get a builder in to sort it if its not 'diyable' but im not sure how it is fixed? how would they support the other bricks to replace the bottom one?

Would replacing it be a big job for a builder or is it easy for a professional?

I am assuming the brick needs to be replaced and i cant fill the gap with cement? the extra 'square' of bricks isnt part of the main wall, it appears to be used to hold the garage door in place

images attached and thanks

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Hi catlad, are you saying you wouldnt even bother repairing it?
The broken missing brick area is quite a lot? maybe 50mm at its worst point

Hi catlad, are you saying you wouldnt even bother repairing it?
The broken missing brick area is quite a lot? maybe 50mm at its worst point
He means the damage and subsequent risk is insignificant, especially in view of the collateral damage you will likely cause, trying to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, was a bit concerned as its the bottom brick and worried it would get worse -i was going to fill the missing brick with stonelux or mortar but will just leave it
Thanks again.

Clean up, bleach it and mortar it. Hardened mortar will provide some support. Life will be better if you don't have a hole there. 2:1 or 3:1 mix.

Clean up, bleach it and mortar it. Hardened mortar will provide some support. Life will be better if you don't have a hole there. 2:1 or 3:1 mix.
The knowledgeable folks on here have convinced me the damage to the brick is unlikely to cause significant issues, but even i can do a bit of cleaning and mortaring without calling anyone in :)

It will definitely improve my wifes life as well as i wont keep looking at it every time we are putting the shopping into the garage freezer :)

Yes, that will work. But most of it will go to waste because you don't need 5kg of it. Storing the unwatered mix in air tight container will allow you to use it in the future.

Yes, that will work. But most of it will go to waste because you don't need 5kg of it. Storing the unwatered mix in air tight container will allow you to use it in the future.

Cheers, got tied up with family stuff but i got this in the end and its coming tomorrow.

I am going to use it to do some outdoor repairs as well when the weather permits.
The missing area of brick is just under 3cm deep which obviously is deeper than normal mortar is applied but it should be fine for this minor repair?

Appreciate i could probably ignore it for another five years but now i know it is there it is bugging me :)

The garage clean out revealed a small (3mm) gap on the bottom of the garage door allowing water to come in at the corner during heavy driven rain- that probably caused the damage, i will look at a weather strip for it.

Mortar is just a weaker form of concrete. There's no limit to how much you can pile it on. Larger piles of concrete are reinforced with rebars. Be sure you don't over water it or the mortar won't be able to hold itself up. Mortar takes many days to harden. Don't touch it until many days after application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back