How to fix bookcase to wall when stud wall screw is in the way?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fix an Ikea Billy bookcase to a stud wall. I have found the studs by using magnets to find the screws. Unfortunately it looks like the screws are at the exact height that I need to fix my L-bracket to the wall. How can I fix this bookcase to the wall if stud wall screws are in the way?

Sponsored Links
Hmm .. don't tell me it's that simple! (Where is the facepalm emoji when I need it?!)

OK, I have checked and the short bit is not quite long enough (the back of the bookcase is not quite against the wall). But I guess I just need to go out and buy an L bracket with two long sides.

Remove the two wall stud screws. Put bookcase onto position and re-use wall stud screws.
Taking 2 screws out will not cause the wall to fall down, (if it does, there is something seriously wrong with your house construction!)

Sponsored Links
Can't you just reposition the brackets by a few mm? The new screws can go in alongside the old ones and still be in the studs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back