How to fix bracket to wall without drilling through cables

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably poor planning, but it all looked so great!

Asked builder where the cables ran this morning, and he said straight down, building regs, etc. etc.

I want my TV on the wall ....

Suggestions?

IMG_20180609_142755106.jpg

IMG_20180612_180505044.jpg

Sponsored Links
Has he channelled them into the block work or tucked them behind the plasterboard?

If the latter aren't there rules about the depth of the channel?

Blup

I think they were just behind the plasterboard.

But even if they were channelled, they's still be in the way of a big bolt to hold a TV bracket, wouldn't they?

Maybe if I just very carefully drill pilot holes and poke about with a torch to see if there's anything there?

Sponsored Links
This isn't the big problem you think it is.

Your wall surface is plasterboard. There's a gap behind. The board is fixed to the block via either battens or blobs of plaster adhesive. Either way, most of the plasterboard surface is unsupported, so you're not going to fix directly to it. You're going to use a product to anchor in to the block and then provide some way of bridging the gap so it transfers the TV weight to the wall. Rigifix is one example.

You'll drill or cut holes in to the plasterboard but avoid going deeper than the board thickness. Once you can see in to the space then simply move the cables to one side to drill in to the wall proper.

thanks, I was thinking that - just need to go slow and shove them cables out the way.

Was referring to rules about cables needing to be buried at least 50mm below surface if outside safe zones, solution noted.

Blup

Doh!

Was just scrolling through my photos (I have taken hundreds) and found one I forgot I took. That'll help! I should be able to find some clear spots each side of the cables.

IMG_20180611_163654550.jpg

Depending on the size of your bracket if i was in that situation I'd offer the bracket up and mark all fixing points. I'd then carefully cut a hole/holes in the plasterboard away from the fixing points but in a position where they would be covered by the bracket so you can inspect behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back