How to fix howling windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The double glazing at my mothers house has been trouble since day one. Started with a pushy salesman doing all the BS hard sale tactics to try and con her out of £26k for 9 windows. Luckily she called me just before agreeing and he told me "it was in my mothers best interest to change her windows as winter was coming and he wasn't going to leave until he made her a good deal".

I eventually had to tell him that I was going to pick up some of my friends and it was in his best interest to be gone by the time I got there before he would take "no and get out" for an answer. Thinking about it now still makes my blood boil. Anyhow, I got a recommendation from a friend and went with him.

About 18 months on, one of the windows is howling like crazy whenever there's the slightest breeze and the contractor seems to have disappeared. A decent double glazing guy is hard to find in these parts apparently.

The wind isn't even that strong and it's making such a drone. I don't feel any draughts or see any obvious holes or gaps. Some of the silicone caulking has come away on the outside, which I'll replace closer to summer, but surely that can't be the cause of the noise?

Any suggestions on what it might be and how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
It's the silicone around the edge inside, peel it all off and reapply, there are threads on humming windows and I've explained what it is

It's the silicone around the edge inside, peel it all off and reapply, there are threads on humming windows and I've explained what it is
I had a quick search on the forums but didn't really find a definitive answer. I'll have another search.

Wish the video was further out, the window has PVC boards / trim going around it. The silicone looks pretty well adhered to that and the window frame on the inside, it looks pretty tatty on the outside though.

Sponsored Links
I had a quick search on the forums but didn't really find a definitive answer. I'll have another search.

Wish the video was further out, the window has PVC boards / trim going around it. The silicone looks pretty well adhered to that and the window frame on the inside, it looks pretty tatty on the outside though.

You don't need to search any further , it's air ingress, and is almost certainly caused by faulty silicone, it's certainly the easiest thing to try .

Has the cowl on the tricke vent been fitted? just an open slot would turn the surface into a flute and cause noise.

OK, next time it howls just open a window an inch, if it's howling through the gaskets the noise should have stopped, however from years of experience of curing this it's almost certainly the silicone around the edge where the trims are siliconed to the window to finish it off, to explain - when it was applied the fitter would lick his finger and run it along the silicone, this forces the silicone in the small gap between the trim and window, so now once it's cured you have a very thin wafer of silicone hidden behind the trim and exposed somewhat into the cavity, as the wind blows this wafer thin silicone acts like a reed and it starts to hum, sometimes you can set it off by opening and closing the door into the room quickly, try it by pulling the handle down and open and close the door very quickly as to create a pressure change for a split second, it won't work if you just walk in normally. Peel the silicone away and watch the noise disappear

I'll pick up some silicone and give it a shot next time I'm back at the mothers house. Hopefully the weather is good and I'll be able to do the outside as well.

Pretty sure the trickle vent cowls are installed but I can't be sure cause my memory is awful :/

*edit,

on a side note. If air is causing the silicon on the inside to hum, then does that mean the window isn't sealed properly and letting heat out? Or do all windows leak to some degree in old houses?

If the silicone is intact and stuck to both surfaces then its fine, its the little wafer thin bit created by being forced through the tiny gap. However if you have any sort of trims fitted you sometimes have to ask yourself what are they covering - what gaps are under those trims, if this is bothering you then why not gently peel one away to see, if you find a gap then pull them all off and foam all the voids, this will also help with the humming once you've refitted the trims and siliconed up again

I'll pick up some silicone and give it a shot next time I'm back at the mothers house. Hopefully the weather is good and I'll be able to do the outside as well.

Pretty sure the trickle vent cowls are installed but I can't be sure cause my memory is awful :/

*edit,

on a side note. If air is causing the silicon on the inside to hum, then does that mean the window isn't sealed properly and letting heat out? Or do all windows leak to some degree in old houses?

A properly fixed window will not hum I'm any conditions, one of our does when the wind is in a certain direction, but I CBA to fix it, coz it's a rare condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back