How to fix leaky toilet flush pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On replacing the carpet in my bathroom I've found that the flush pipe to my toilet has been leaking -- perhaps for some time. The floor's okay once it's dried out (it's moisture-resistant board), but I need some advice on how to stop the leak, please:

I'm pretty sure the leak is where the flush pipe goes into the toilet bowl. It's difficult to get at because the toilet cistern is behind a panel, and the pipe comes out through a small hole in the partition. So can you confirm that the normal type of connection for that pipe is probably simply a push-fit with some kind of an O-ring?

I guess the "proper" way to repair it is to disassemble everything and then reassemble with new rubber bits, but my system is 1982 vintage and, I suspect, imperial measurements, so the right bits might be difficult to find.

So is there some kind of putty that I can push in the joint to make a long-lasting reliable seal? Afer all, there's hardly any pressure there.

Sponsored Links
It will be the grommet at back of pan that has worn new one about 2 quid and will fit yours

flush pipe connector ;) "grommet," might confuse Plumb Center staff

Thanks guys. I've had a closer look today, and that definitely looks like the problem. I'll go and pick up a grommet, or flush pipe connector, tomorrow.

The problem I can foresee, though, is that I don't see how I can withdraw the flush pipe enough (due to the partition) to replace the grommet. Would you normally expect to have to unscrew the toilet pan from the floor so as to slide it out enough to clear the end of the pipes? If I have to do that, I suppose I ought to replace the other grommet, around the main sewer pipe, at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

When I got the old connector off I saw that a previous ("professional") plumber had used putty to seal it :eek: The rubber was still in good condition, but I think the putty must have distorted some of the sealing rings so that they weren't doing their job. So, only the putty was stopping the deluge, and it eventually gave up because of old age.

I'd already bought a new connector, so I cleaned the putty off the pipe and socket, and installed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back