How to fix loud gurgling /rushing sound in system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to fix an issue with my heating system .

A few days ago I had some maintenance done on the system (drained down, cleanser put in and later removed and rads jet washed out to clean sludge ) . Since then I have noticed a very loud gurgling /water rushing sound . This seems to be coming from the cylinder and seems to happen once the boiler has stopped . Even though the boiler has stopped the external pump seems to still be running , the noise continues until the pump stops . The noise is very very loud, I will try and record on later if it helps . I have done a quick Google search and it seems it may be air in the system , would this make sense? I know there are 2 bleed points on a vertical pipe next to the cylinder so I could try and open these until water comes out but thought I'd better take some advice on it 1st , can anybody advise on this please ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
It's air finding it's way to the highest point in your system so try to bleed it out or get the plumber back to finish what he started.

Thanks , that's what I suspected . If it's an easy fix I'll do it myself , I expect the highest point will be these bleed points next to the cylinder . Am in able to bleed it at any time or should I wait until the noise is happening before I do it . Also, is likely to be causing any problems or danger to the system or is it more just a noise nuisance ?

Thanks again for the quick reply

Sponsored Links
Cheers Bob, I did it earlier , a fair bit of air came out of the last few radiators I did so hopefully it'll fix the issue !
Thanks

If your system is pressurised rather than open vented (i.e. You have a filling loop with a small pressure gauge, instead of a small tank in the loft) then you may well need to top up a little bit more water after bleeding.

It's an open vented system , I have a cold water tank and F&E tank in the loft so from my limited knowledge I think this means it'll top itself up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back