how to fix new creaky chipboard floor!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i bet this is an oldie but pls bear with me as a newbie.

I've just moved into a new build (uncarpeted) with chipboard floors which creak badly. It's new so I don't know why that is.
Before I get carpet fitted, what can I do to help with the creaking?

I suspect the builders only screwed the boards in without adding glue as well?

please help!

THANKYOU!!

Sponsored Links
tighten the screws that are already there

identify where the joists are, put in more screws. You can use countersunk or bugle-headed screws and when they are tight they will pull themselves into the surface of the board without you having to countersink the holes (experiment with the torque settings to achieve this).

you will somehow have to avoid any cables or pipes that might be notched into the joists.

long term, the best solution I know to a chipboard floor is to pull it up and use it on November 5th, and put down ply instead.

Thx for the reply JohnD.

That's the thing I have no idea where pipes and cables are, so i'm really scared of drilling more screws in.
Is there anyway of knowing where is safe to drill? :confused:

Also would trying to add glue in to the joints now (retrospectively) be any help? Or it's too late?

Thanks

LOL
The fact that its chipboard has little importance of any squeaks. Its the mechanical fixing (how the floor is fixed) and poor quality of workmanship that causes squeaks (99% of the time)

If its a new build, surely you can get the site agent back in for snagging and inform him of the squeaks.
They should rectify this as part of your contract.

There are a number of causes to a squeaky floor.

1. Chipboard has been left unsupported when its not landed on a joist. The flex of the board when walked across can cause squeaks along any fixing in the area of the board.
2. Nailing chipboard
3. Nailing any stud walls to chipboard and the nail missing joist.
4. Stud walls not properly supported on joist or noggin.

Really if its a new build and your the 1st home owner then you shouldnt have to rectify the problem, its there job.
Try and find out a little more about the floor construction as well, this may help indentify the cause.

Sponsored Links
if you pull up the chipboard, you can look underneath and see where the pipes and cables are. Preferably paint them on the surface of whatever you put down once you have burned the chipboard

yes, very true, builders often leave short joints unsupported by noggins. Don't worry, these will soon crack and break, and stop squeaking. The carpet will stop you falling through the hole in the floor.

yes, very true, builders often leave short joints unsupported by noggins. Don't worry, these will soon crack and break, and stop squeaking. The carpet will stop you falling through the hole in the floor.
:LOL: :LOL: Tragically so true!!

Oh dear.... This is so sad! ;)
I get the impression chipboard flooring is nobody's friend to say the least.

So I can prepare myself- how long would a chipboard floor last typically given no accidents or leaks etc?

Yeah its not, people dry humor round here.

Chipboard flooring is not to be confused with its lesser counter part chipboard. Lower density, not moisture resistant and not suitable for flooring purposes. That has a bad reputation for being like wheatabix.

Trust me, there is nothing wrong with it.

flooring chipboard can last several years. It will crack quite quickly in halls and landings where people jump off the bottom of the stairs, and in front of the sink where people often stand, and under the cooker which is heavy.

In the bathroom, you will be able to cut out the parts that are ruined by drips, splashes and leaks.

Its great advantage to the builder is that it is very cheap.

Its great advantage to the householder is... um.... er.....

Haha thanks johnD.... Doesn't sound promising. I guess now more and more new builds use chipboard floor cos it's easy, quick and cheap to install.
But doesn't say much for durability

Fingers crossed ... Will last me 10 years plus (or I am being overly hopeful!! Ha)

LOL well if you listen to these guys, you will be going out tomorrow to buy plywood t&g flooring, ripping up all your newly laid chipboard flooring and re laying the plywood. And be happy in the knowledge that the extra money spent will be worth it ? ? ! ? ? :cool:

But then you will still be phased with the same problems of squeaks, creaks, it delaminating when it gets wet.. Make the extra £5 a sheet all that more worth it... doesnt it. hehe..

Here we go again! Chipboard creaks when its poorly installed as does every type of floor board. Typically developer housing standards are shaved to the minimum, same as the joists or more likely eco joists (which will be as small as possible for the span) which are more bouncy. It will still last for decades. Its used widely in the market 'cos it does what it says it will. The scaremongers who haunt the site do not understand simple economics.

Gemma,
the best place to start would be speak to whoever built your house, if its a new build and you have just moved in, then speak back to the builder about the floor. It should be his responsibility to fit the floor correctly.

Also ask what joists have been used and try and see if you can see any screws in the floor or nail heads.

Ive been in one house where it sounded like an old haunted house. Creaks everywhere. After spending 5 minutes in the property, it was easy to identify the problematic areas. Chipboard (short) edges not supported on a joist or noggin, causing flexing of the boards along mechinacal fixings ( NAILS)

if only the builder will take responsibility. he's not responding at all.... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back