how to fix quadrant to stringer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fix an 18mm quadrant on top of my stringers, and I'm not sure how to fix them in place. The stringer is currently mostly primed with Zinsser BIN. Should I glue or nail the molding to the stringer, should I also glue them to the wall with something, do I caulk it etc. Thanks!

Attachments

• ADA59E41-3613-4C59-86DF-0C537515E185.jpeg
    ADA59E41-3613-4C59-86DF-0C537515E185.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The best way is to nail to the stringer with a 23 gauge pinner, or possibly an 18 gauge pinner. Next best would be to glue to the top of the stringer, (with something like mitre adhesive, e.g. Mitre Mate) but this ideally requires a wood to wood connection (so the top edges would need sanding back) and I'd recommend adding a few veneer pins to ensure the fix

If you attach to the plaster the bead is likely to pull away from the stringer

The best way is to nail to the stringer with a 23 gauge pinner, or possibly an 18 gauge pinner. Next best would be to glue to the top of the stringer, (with something like mitre adhesive, e.g. Mitre Mate) but this ideally requires a wood to wood connection (so the top edges would need sanding back) and I'd recommend adding a few veneer pins to ensure the fix

If you attach to the plaster the bead is likely to pull away from the stringer
Can I use PVA or wood glue for something like this? I can't see veneer pins more than 25mm so I might need panel pins I guess. Is caulk necessary or do I just set it flush to the wall?

Sponsored Links
PVA alone (or for that matter "wood glue" which is mostly PVA) won't hold the beading - you need some form of mechanical fixing as well to hold the beading in place whilst the glue sets. You don"t need to fix vertically downwards, either, an angled pin from the side will also work.

If you use panel pins consider piloting your holes with something like a 2mm drill first to avoid splitting the beading and punch the pin heads under with an appropriately sized nail set before filling

Use of caulk depends on the gapping - it maybe necessary to align your beading to the front face of the skirting if the plasterwork "meanders". When you do the install you'll see if caulk ineeded ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back