How to fix squeaky floorboard cut to the side of joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We had our CH pipes relocated underfloor a while ago and the plumber cut an existing floorboard to get access. It squeaks whenever someone walks over it but I didn't pick this up at the time.

IMG_20170919_160327.jpg

As the floorboard was cut to the side of the supporting joist it cantilevers off the adjacent joist and adding a few screws won't fix this unless they are put in diagonally (which I don't think will hold). My idea was to find a thin sheet of metal, punch a few holes in this and then screw in over both sides of the cut. I don't want to pull the floorboard up as it runs under a door threshold.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what did you do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will have to fix a batten to the side of the joist.

Get the plumber back to do it properly.

There is a right and a wrong way of doing something. The right way is to take the board up and screw a batton on to the side of the joist so the board has something to rest on. The wrong way you have already indicated. As is often the case the right way is harder.

Sponsored Links
i realise what hes said but i wonder if the op is assuming its not cut on a joist.
Looking at the nails, to me it looks that it IS cut on a joist and just squeaks as its not nailed down.
However there may be pipes below so needs lifting to check really before nailing.

Slide a paint scraper carefully between the boards and you can tell where the joist is.
If it is cut off the joist then cut the board yet again to this side of the other joist nearer the door, then batten inside both joists and refit the section of board,
Again carefull theres no pipes or wires below

Looking at the nails, to me it looks that it IS cut on a joist and just squeaks as its not nailed down. ... However there may be pipes below so needs lifting to check really before nailing.
To be totally sure/safe, I agree, but it would be pretty safe if one put nails in which were in the same positions (side-to-side) as the two existing ones on the other side of the cut, wouldn't it??

Kind Regards, John

To be totally sure/safe, I agree, but it would be pretty safe if one put nails in which were in the same positions (side-to-side) as the two existing ones on the other side of the cut, wouldn't it??
I would drive a couple of screws in, where you suggest, then if it doesn't fix the problem they can easily be removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back