How to fix timber joists into breeze block wall please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there all you knowledgeable people.
I'm hoping you can help please.

We are having a new 1st floor ensuite bathroom put on top of our sitting room. The new floor has new seperate joists to the existing ceiling joists of the sitting room making it a floating floor(apparently). As it was impossible to put a timber plate along the side of the existing wall to support the new joists due to the old joists being in the way. Could you tell me please how to support the new joists in the breeze block existing wall? The builder has used joist hangers and the screws have come out already and there is movement in the floor affecting the pasterboard ceiling of the sitting room below.
Please advise if you can as I just want the builders to go now as I've had enough of having to question everything they do!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though your builders have used the ordinary joist hangers, which are for fixing timber to timber, not timber to masonry. The best hangers for this are the ones with a flange at the top, which goes into a horizontal joint in the blockwork.

The lightweight blocks are not easy to fix to (though there are special plugs for this) and not ideal for fixing load-bearing elements such as floor joists.

From what you say, it appears the new joists may be bearing down on the existing ceiling joists.

SPMHS%20Masonry%20Joist%20Hanger%20Situ.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes the new joists are bearing down on the ceiling joists by resting on the 2x2 wall bearer thingy that they sit on. They(the b*** chippies) have put the new joists in hangers as you say but they are not the right angled type that hang on the block wall but just screwed in badly. They would need to cut a slits in the wall to get them in to hang there. But we need to find a way of lifting the new hanging joists up a bit in the current hangers so they are not sitting on the wall bearer which supports the ceiling joists. Having had the floor put down this afternoon it's become very apparent due to movement and squeaking that we need to look at jacking the floor up a bit without disturbing the ceiling below any more.
Any ideas please chaps or chapesses?

Forgot to say that the breeze blocks are the old style not the modern light weight type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back