how to get planning permission for non permeable driveway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

My existing front garden is a non permeable surface (crazy paving), but i do not have a dropped kerb.

I want to apply for a dropped kerb, but do not wish to renew the surface to make it suds complaint yet - I am starting some building work in nov this year and would rather wait until that is finished to remove the risk of damaging the driveway.

Does anyone know what the criteia is to be granted planning permission to use the existing non-permeable surface?

I don't want to wait to get the kerb cut as there are plans currently with the council to move some street furniture (street lights in my case) which would result in my drive application being reduced from 3.4m wide down to 3m or less!

drawing of proposed driveway attached:

Or does anyone have any suggestions as to a cheap but conforming method i can put in place to allow the kerb to be dropped?

Sponsored Links
It will be approved if you can demonstrate that rainwater won't drain into the highway or public sewers.

It will be approved if you can demonstrate that rainwater won't drain into the highway or public sewers.

bummer, thanks for the response! haven't got anywhere to direct it off to easily at the moment!

Going to try and see if i can get someone with a moler to mole me a hole to the back garden down the side access, can do what i want there without issues!

An ACCO surface drain across the drive entrance normally does the trick. Normally this is connected to a soakaway, but some people don't bother.

Sponsored Links
Harrow council are being a bit an4l in that they want 25% of the surface open (gravel/soil etc) and acro type drain or permeable surface.

I've asked the guys who im looking to do the final driveway with if they will do the sub base and base, and leave the finish layer for next year.. may be enough to keep council happy to drop kerb.

meanwhile the street lighting team have spoken to the vehicle crossing team (ie they probably shouted across the room) and are now aware of the fact that i want a crossing and that putting a lamp post in the drive will cause problems.. Hopefully they come up with a solution that will work for all!

I did not think that a council could be so prescriptive regarding how the drive must be constructed. The requirement is to ensure water goes into the ground, and how that is acheived is up to the homeowner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back