How to get rid of house fire smoke

D

Doggit

I got a call from my neighbor this morning, telling me the house the other side of me was on fire. Having ascertained that the fire brigade had put the fire out, I was happy just to open the windows when I got home, and clear any smoke out.

Except I get home, and find the fire brigade have broken down the front door to check for any smoke in my house, even though the neighbour has told them I'm okay with the situation.

So what's the best way of getting rid of the burnt smell in the house, and although the fire brigade have said that they have the right of entry under the 2004 act with no responsibility for any damage caused, I wonder if they also have a duty of care not to do any more than is neccesary, as after having put a ladder up at the back of the house to see if they could gain entry, they could see there was no fire in my place, so had time to contact me, but didn't bother.

I couldn't get in the front door, and had to climb over the back wall to get in from the back door.

Sponsored Links
I have heard vinegar in bowl and leaving in room and using charcoal works.

With regards to the fire services unwanted visit, they are only doing their job and obviously there was a concern regarding safety or the spread of fire. Even though you may not think that way, I would much prefer to be replacing a front door than visiting a mortuary!

have a look at your home insurance policy, see if it helps.

Sponsored Links
Being an ex Firefighter, to have not inspected the interior of your property would be negligence on their part,
Do you know if your Smoke alarm activated if so even more reason to break into the property if no one was present.

Its now an Insurance job to get temporary boarding for the front door ASAP, Your insurance Company will have access to firms that clean up properties after an emergency,
Depending on circumstances you could claim for Hotel Expenses if the smoke smell is overpowering

What I've noticed after many years of dealing with fire damaged properties, is that the fire service invariably do more damage than the fires.

What I've noticed after many years of dealing with fire damaged properties, is that the fire service invariably do more damage than the fires.

One has to check whether fire has crept into every nook and cranny and continue smouldering, thermal imaging helps these days but removal of partitioning etc is still needed, Fire Service do carry out Salvage work to ensure the fire scene is safe.
To leave a fire scene and have to return hours later because the fire has started up again because of " Bulls eyes" is a very serious situation

I was particularly referring to the damage they did in accessing property when there was no actual fire.

Even when we ensured that every station and appliance had details of the stock, access codes, routes, keys to ducts and dry-risers, you name it, they always preferred to batter everything down.

I assume you are talking about Business properties and keyholders, A Fire Officer is confronted with the situation of a possible fire with maybe " Persons Reported" at 2 am, absence of any security personnel , so has to make the decision to wait for the keyholder to turn up or break into a property,

To wait for a Keyholder means a call has to be put through to the Keyholder either by the Police or Fire Service, if the call is acknowledged ( What happens if the key holder has had a few drinks at home will they want to drive to the property) the keyholder has to get out of bed, and drive an unknown distance to the scene
all a time delay which is the responsibility of the Officer in Charge of the Fire Scene. (which is what has appeared to have happened to the original poster)

You say you ensured that every Fire station had the details as required, there is the possibility that the first crews on the scene do not come from the Local Fire Station or even the Local Brigade, so their knowledge would be limited even with the modern aspect that many Fire Engines have built in Wifi and computers for instant information

Last edited:
So what's the best way of getting rid of the burnt smell in the house,
How did the smoke get into your house ? If smoke could get in then also burning embers and / or super heated air, hot enough to ignite items could also have got into your house.

I am totally in agreement with BossWhite on this.

I assume you are talking about Business properties

No residential.

They have the keys hanging up in their cabs, and the codes in a book in their cabs.

Crews always came from one of three local stations.

When you speak to the fire personal, and they say that it's "more fun" smashing their way in and smashing stuff, then it gives it away somewhat.

What do you mean by residential properties ?
The normal types of keys that are found on Fire Engines, are an assortment of lift keys, keys for access to gated private driveways, bollards etc, maybe a few Fire Alarm keys, but not Private residential properties.
And No, Crews do not always come from Local Fire Stations, they can be out on another call .

When you speak to the fire personal, and they say that it's "more fun" smashing their way in and smashing stuff, then it gives it away somewhat.

The ones I have spoken to did not enjoy breaking into residential property. These are friends who are / were fire crews and staff and crews when I was involved with Fire Brigade communications.

Crews always came from one of three local stations.

Not if all the appliances at those local stations are already committed. An empty station will have appliances sent to it from further afield. Even from a different county if need be. One friend stationed in Essex spent a watch in a fire station covering the London West End ( theatre land ).

Sponsored Links
Back