How to go about getting building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am sure this has been answered so many times, Ive went clicking through to page 20 of this particular forum and have learned that I will deffo need building regs but I just dont quite know how it works.

I wish to build a wooden garage at the back of my garden, Once you add in the 1 meter distance from the boundary it gives me a space of 6m x 8m, it will be no higher than 4m at the Apex and 3m at the eaves. So it doesn't require planning permission however from reading the forums it will require building regs as it is more than 30 sqm.

This is where I am stuck, I want to build this myself as it is quite a straight forward build - Do I need to provide drawings during the building regs? I went through the process and it seemed to just want a map with a location of where it is going, they didn't ask for specifics on wood thickness etc - so Im a bit lost and didn't proceed with the application.

What exactly do I need to provide, and do I need a professional to put the plan together?

I am based in Scotland if any variance applies.

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I am sure this has been answered so many times, Ive went clicking through to page 20 of this particular forum and have learned that I will deffo need building regs but I just dont quite know how it works.

I wish to build a wooden garage at the back of my garden, Once you add in the 1 meter distance from the boundary it gives me a space of 6m x 8m, it will be no higher than 4m at the Apex and 3m at the eaves. So it doesn't require planning permission however from reading the forums it will require building regs as it is more than 30 sqm.

This is where I am stuck, I want to build this myself as it is quite a straight forward build - Do I need to provide drawings during the building regs? I went through the process and it seemed to just want a map with a location of where it is going, they didn't ask for specifics on wood thickness etc - so Im a bit lost and didn't proceed with the application.

What exactly do I need to provide, and do I need a professional to put the plan together?

Thank you very much.

Fruit bun is a pro so will give far better advice....in simple terms (I think) your garage will need to apply to building regs, however as it is not a habitable dwelling, only some regulations will apply.

Mostly you will need to meet compliance with foundations, structural elements, electrics, safety, fire perhaps

You won't need to comply with thermal performance.

You might be best to ask an architectural technician to do b/regs drawings for you.....or you could spend a lot of time learning.

The current building regulations are available to download if you really want to have a go.

Different rules apply for planning and b/regs apply up in Scotland

I seem to remember there's no building notices allowed only full plans applications. I think you need to get approval (warrant) prior to commencing the work. This is something I read years ago so may no longer be relevant. I may just have a look through them out of curiosity when I get a chance.

Sponsored Links
Aye and Ive tried to read the handbook they provide, but it goes on about smoke alarms, ways or escape and just many many things, it feels very much for a house. This is just a garage, one big room, So I guess Im working out if im biting off more than I can chew and do I need to just get someone in to produce a plan for the application.

How long is a piece of string question coming up... What does an architect usually charge for such a thing? Ball park?

Given its different in Scotland, this may not apply, but my local authority have a "surgery" where you can book 20min with a BCO to talk about such issues.

Maybe worth making contact with your council to see if you have such a thing? Could save you a few quid on architect's fees

Try looking online at companies who sell timber buildings - often they will tell you what sizes they use for frames, planks, etc.

Hi there,

Thank you very much.

Unsure of Scottish Bldng Regs , but In England if a Garage / Workshop / Etc is over 2.5m high at any level Planning permission is required ? 4m apex ??

Unsure of Scottish Bldng Regs , but In England if a Garage / Workshop / Etc is over 2.5m high at any level Planning permission is required ? 4m apex ??

Nothing to do with BR’s whatsoever.

I've had a brief look at Scottish Regs and it appears that you must get a warrant prior to commencing work as I suspected, this involves submitting drawings spec etc and getting these approved, much the same as a full plans app in England, however you cannot start within 48 hours of submission of the warrant as you can in England. There does not appear to such a thing as a building notice.
One obvious problem you do have is fire spread, due to the timber construction close to the boundary, I've only had a brief look through, but they appear to have similar, though stricter requirements. As you are 1m from the boundary you will need to consider fire protection, both external and internal as well as intumescent timber treatment to reduce the surface spread of flame. If I get a chance I'll have a closer look and give more specific advice, but the regs are written in a different manner, such as referring to "short" fire resistance which appears to mean 30 minutes, not sure why they don't just say that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back